Thursday, December 2, 2021

Susan lost over 7 stone and dropped from a size 22 to a size 12

​

I have been overweight since my early twenties with various stints on diets over the years. The first diet was at age 23, and subsequently each weight loss attempt thereafter having a higher start weight and lower loss achievement before I jacked it in.

The last time I was a reasonable weight was in 2009, when I first joined WLR in the build up to my wedding... I lost three stone and got to 14st 4lb. Still overweight but better than I was.

Of course, as soon as the wedding was over, normal service resumed. Then I got a new job and moved to a new town..

​

My husband and I have a good social life which usually involves visiting pubs as well which doesn’t help matters. This, and general laziness, resulted in my weight steadily increasing over the last 10 years and I put on all the weight I had lost previously plus another stone for good measure.

​

How I've tried to lose weight in the past...

I have tried Slimming World on and off for about 20 years and had had some success previously but, in recent years, I struggled to adjust to the new ‘extra easy’ system and would lose a stone and then fall off the wagon again.

​

Having done calorie counting on WLR in 2009, I felt that nothing was really ‘free’ since everything I eat/drink has calories and I was not properly exercising portion control. I was using the ‘it’s free’ mantra to kid myself I could eat as much as my husband.

​

I have always enjoyed the slimming world recipes though and the healthy eating it promotes, I just now put the recipes into WLR and ensure I stick to the correct portions.

​

I also tried the 5:2 Fast diet at 500 calories per day and, whilst some of the principles suited me, I found it very difficult.

​

However, when this changed to a 5:2 based on 800 calories and, with the greater awareness of a Mediterranean diet together with lower carbs, I found a way of eating that does suit me so I have been using some of these principles together with WLR and counting calories.

​

How my weight affected me...

I wouldn’t say that my weight significantly affected my health but I was very aware that I was pushing my luck with being obese.

​

I used to get nervous before flights in case the seatbelt wasn’t long enough. I had started to notice that my knees were getting achy as well with carrying all the extra weight.

​

It was the small things that bothered me...

​

"huffing and puffing when cutting my toe nails and struggling to reach them"

​

...and not having much choice clothes wise.

​

Mentally, whilst I would have preferred to be slim, I have been accepting of my weight since, having lost weight before, I knew my weight was in my control and therefore it was my choice to be overweight.

​

I was not happy with my weight and how I looked but I accepted responsibility for it.

​

My motivation to lose weight...

There are so many reasons why I wanted to lose weight, I was so fed up with myself and unhappy about my weight and in October 2018, I went for a pre-op assessment for a minor op and the nurse queried if I had sleep apnoea since I had all the indicators for it.

​

I didn’t have it but the hospital ran a number of tests to be sure but it did ‘wake’ me up as to what the future may hold if I did not take control of my weight and the daily food/drink decisions I was making.

​

So the main motivation for losing weight was and still is my health.

​

The wlr tools that helped me the most...

Initially, I used the food diary only ensuring I was in calorie deficit but as time has progressed, I have become more interested in nutrition, ensuring I have enough fibre, F&V etc.

​

I feel that my knowledge is increasing all the time without it being ‘gimmicky’ and when, as time went on or I felt a bit stagnated, I browse recipes, the food plans available, and the forums to get more ideas.

​

I also like the variety of forums since there is something for everyone. I have been inspired by other people’s achievements and learned a lot about different techniques that have helped me stay on course.

​

One of the big habits for me to break was with regard to my alcohol intake since I had got into a habit of daily ‘wine o’clock’ drinking which I knew was very unhealthy for my body and mind. I particularly followed the ‘Stay off the Booze’ thread which inspired me and kept me going as I incorporated more and more alcohol free days into my life.

​

How my life has changed since losing weight

Since losing the weight, random aches and pains that I put down to getting older have gone, I have loads more energy and I don’t snore anymore!

​

Susan after weight loss in red dress

"words can’t describe how good I felt in my size 14 red dress!"

​

I still can’t believe that I have nearly done it and I am still adjusting to not being overweight.

​

"I have rediscovered an interest in clothes and fashion."

​

I have been quite strict not to buy too many new clothes on my way since I am determined to get to goal and don’t want to discard clothes I love. Luckily, a good friend of mine lost weight and donated a lot of clothes to me which has seen me through, but I am now enjoying restocking my wardrobe with clothes I like as opposed to clothes that fit.

​

How exercise has helped my weight loss

I did not want to join a gym or start a significant exercise regime when I started since I was worried that if I failed at the exercise, I would also fail at losing weight too so I just steadily increased my walking and tried to incorporate more walking and movement in my day.

​

I got myself a fitbit for my 4.5 stone loss reward (7 months in) and it inspired me to increase my walking and ensure I got my steps in every day.

​

Email me here To Get My Weighloss Formula

​

susanmoore 2714 @ gmail . com (remove the spaces)

submitted by /u/susan-moore
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3ofzchy

No comments:

Post a Comment