Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Friend congratulated me on weight loss, but it's a double-edged sword

I gained about 20 lbs during the pandemic. I'm 5'2" and I went from 120 to 140.

I'm three months into CICO and I'm down 10 lbs. I've never been able to lose weight before in a way that's consistent, healthy, and doesn't involve an eating disorder. I've been crushing this mind and body and I'm honestly really proud of myself.

Most of my friends are decent people who won't comment on somebody's body, but when I mentioned to my lifting buddy that my strength gains have felt slow and it's probably because I'm at a calorie deficit, she effusively congratulated me on losing weight as if she'd been waiting for a moment to bring it up. "You've lost hella weight. You look so good"

In the moment, it made me feel great, especially since I'm only halfway to my goal, but the more I think about it, I feel so exposed. I guess a part of me was hoping nobody had really noticed that I got chubby. But apparently not.

It sucks how our bodies are shaped by so much internal shit and habits that happen in private, but the result is so, so public. I'm working through my shit and that's great, but I wish everyone around me weren't privy to it.

submitted by /u/moveshake
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3wfY3V4

No comments:

Post a Comment