Saturday, October 19, 2019

My app has been lying

I had a sad and frustrating moment last night. I plugged my stats (32F/5’8”/182lbs) into an online calculator. To be more specific it’s the online calculator I use to give people on this sub calorie related advice. It said my weight maintenance calories were ~ 1900. I thought it was was wrong, my app says 2160. Check a few others and boom, all are around 1900. What the hell? Google a bit, and I find this: https://www.mynetdiary.com/weight-loss-topic/Weight-Maintenance-Calorie-Calculation-Seems-Too-High-1005.1407, which tells me they’ve known its been off since at least 2012. By the way, I’ve been using this damn app about that long (on and off, ya’ll lmao the story).

I was so angry. I’ve been eating ~1700 calories for a couple months. Apparently just 200 shy of my current maintenance instead 500 as I’d planned. I know this shouldn’t be that big a deal. Everyone’s body is a little different and I could just adjust up or down a bit based on actual results, but dammit this part was supposed to be certain. In all the uncertainty of weight loss and changing my lifestyle and trying to get fit, I felt like I was supposed to be able to trust the damned app I was using to do it all.

No, I won’t quit the app, I really like this one more than the others, I’ll just continue moving my calories down gradually. Last week I started down at 1550 and found that quite doable. I’ll probably aim for 1500 next week. If it’s too hard to go lower I can always lose slower. I’m not racing anyone. I can be more patient if that’s what I need to do.

submitted by /u/ChemEjobHunter
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2MU3Glp

No comments:

Post a Comment