Friday, July 12, 2019

19 lbs down - Thoughts on the first 2 months

So I stepped on the scale in early May and I weighed 249 lbs. I'm 40, male and 6'4", for reference. It's the most I've ever weighed. It scared me a bit because I knew the next time I weighed myself I'd probably be 250 or more. I thought I'd give some thoughts about what I've done - maybe it will help some people.

I started tracking in MFP on May 12. I started weighing myself every day at the same time. Every day I would record my cals and weight in 3-Suns Adaptive TDEE Spreadsheet. If you've never heard of it, it's a spreadsheet where all you do is enter your start date, your starting weight, your goal weight and your goal weight loss per week at the top. Then you just log calories eaten and your weight daily. It uses that information to calculate your TDEE and to tell you how many calories to eat to meet your weight loss goal. I highly recommend you use this spreadsheet.

Here's a picture of what mine looks like after 2 months.

A few things to notice:

  • If you miss logging a day, that's okay. The spreadsheet compensates for it. You'll notice that I never weighed myself on weekends. The reason is because I weigh myself on a scale at work.
  • Column K gives you your average weight and calories for that week. I tried not to pay attention to daily weight because it swings around so much. The weekly average helped me avoid worrying too much about staying the same for too long. You will also notice that the spreadsheet reports your Current Weight as the average of the current week, not as what you weighed yesterday. So for me it says my current weight is 230 lbs even though my scale showed 228.5 yesterday.
  • Column M gives you your calculated TDEE. To be honest my TDEE was a lot higher than I thought it would be. I thought it would be around 3000 based on my size and activity level but it is closer to 3300 or 3400. I had read that the spreadsheet takes about 3 weeks to get your TDEE right and that is about what happened with me.
  • At the end of each month, on the far right side, the spreadsheet gives you a nice summary of your average weight loss per week, how much you lost that month and how many pounds until your goal weight.
  • You'll notice my calorie intake is all over the place. One day I only ate 1846 cals and one day I ate 3500 cals. My goal has been 2400 cals per day but rarely do I make that exactly. This goes back to what I said above about being more concerned with averages than daily stats.

Ultimately, this spreadsheet helps me know where I'm at but the reason I'm losing weight is because I drastically changed my diet. I cut out all soda and snacking after 8:00 pm. I used to think nothing of going up to the vending machine at work and getting a snickers at break. I realized a medium Oreo Concrete Mixer at Culver's is 960 calories (!!!) and had to cut them out completely. Before May 12, I can't remember the last time I actually felt hungry. I ate stuff out of habit, not because my body needed it.

submitted by /u/BWdad
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2xJwvKb

No comments:

Post a Comment