Sunday, March 6, 2022

The stats around "long term maintenance"(I'm talking 3+ years) are really, really discouraging.

I don't know what spurred me to do it today, but I went down the rabbit hole of articles talking about long term weight loss maintenance.

I don't really follow a "diet" per say- I've permanently adjusted my eating into plant based intuitive eating. If I am not hungry, I don't eat. If I eat, it's something that is mostly a combo of rice and veggies and some protein. Exercise wise I workout with weights and walking/some other cardio 4-5 times a week, gradually increasing weights or reps each week or two. It's steady and slow and something that my body is gradually adjusting to rather than jumping into a 12 week program or a diet because neither of those I have NEVER ever been successful with- this I am even if it's only a few pounds every couple of weeks. I like exercising to get stronger and help manage my anxiety/ADHD and I like eating plant based because it makes me feel good and satisfied.

Anyway I am reading some articles that call long term weight loss maintenance almost impossible even with healthy eating and exercise (which I think is irresponsible journalism, but still discouraging nonetheless), various ones that give a stat somewhere that only between 5 percent and 20 percent of people that don't gain half to all the weight back, and many that call maintenance harder than weight loss.

I guess I would love to hear stories from people that maintained weight loss over the years- what do you think the articles that call it impossible get wrong? What put you in the low successful stat group?

And those of you currently losing weight- I know some of you do Keto or something that you may or may not do for the rest of your life- so what's your "post goal weight plan?" How are you preparing yourself to NOT gain the weight back?

I do feel there is merit and known fact that many people gain the weight back and I think it's foolish to not really take this fact in. I don't think any of us trying to lose 20+ pounds dreamed prior to gaining weight that we would gain that weight. It just... happened. So unless you are actively taking steps and making plans for it to NOT happen, I can see it being extremely easy to become part of the 80%.

submitted by /u/all_hornets_must_die
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/7jCGuEB

No comments:

Post a Comment