Monday, November 7, 2022

One Year, 111 lbs down

That's me!(I stay holding my phone weird)

There's this weird pattern in my life where life altering stuff happens when I put my foot down late at night, and for some reason my mom is always a witness to it.

Like one day after missing orientation for a shelf stocking job at Target, I snapped, decided my self taught programming skills were enough for a job, applied to every software dev listing I could find on Indeed and now a decade later I'm a senior engineer working on self-driving cars.

Well one night in early February, after eating myself up what was probably another 20 lbs while visiting my parents, I "snapped" again... but this time it was pouring bottles of juice down a sink while my mom probably wondered what the hell had possessed me. Really dramatic I know 😂 but 105 of those 111 lbs have been lost since that day less than 9 months ago, so it really stuck!

In February 2023 I want to post again in long form about how far I've come and what exactly I think made that time different, but the short version is I learned to conserve my willpower with strategies like:

- Recognizing "calorie sinks" that would leave me spending the rest of the day fighting hunger if I wanted to keep a deficit

- Working hard to separate emotion from food

- Getting comfortable with throwing away food

- Limiting carbs before limiting protein

I think for me the missing piece of weight loss was about setting myself up for success. Any time I failed I beat myself up because I thought it meant I didn't want it bad enough, but I of course I wanted to lose the weight! We all do!

I just wasn't doing myself any favors trying to run a deficit while fast food. I wasn't doing that by watching TV with every meal either. Or by not knowing anything about macros. Or only grocery shopping while ravenously hungry.

My "goal" is so lofty I wouldn't want to tell anyone in real life but... I want to enter an amateur bodybuilding competition in February 2024 😂. 2 years will have had passed since that fateful night, and it'd be a special way to ring in my 30s even trying.

But that's a long way off, and for now I can't describe the level of joy I feel seeing myself from last year next to now.

I saw people post transformations and thought they just wanted it more than me, but now I realize all of us want it: but if you fail, eventually you need to start again to have a chance at ever making it.

There's no real reason this time should have been different for me, but it was, and now I'm in the best shape I've been in years. I just needed to keep starting

submitted by /u/s-pop-
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/W0dGhRZ

No comments:

Post a Comment