Monday, July 10, 2023

Worried that my fellow Fat Friends will abandon me when I lose the weight.

When you’ve been as overweight as I have been for as long as I have been (I’ve been chunky at best obese at worst my whole life.) you start to surround yourself with people who are like you. And most of my friends are fat, much like I am. They are lovely people and many of them are hard core into the body positivity and fat acceptance movement. (Which I still align myself with to a point. I believe fat people have a right to exist and be represented in media and art and should be treated with the same respect that straight sized people receive etc. In fact, all people fat or thin should be respected regardless of size.)

Recently, I ran into a slew of health problems one right after another. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, I’m pre-diabetic, I have insulin resistance, they wanted to put me on a C-Pap machine… and I said that enough was enough. Doctors told me to get bariatric surgery. I really didn’t want to do that and wanted to try medication along with nutrition and exercise first. After some trial and error, I finally got on a medication that worked for me. And I’ve been following my nutrition plan and exercise to a T. I am dropping WEIGHT. I mean, 5 lbs a week. So much so, that my pants almost fell around my ankles in the grocery store last week.

It’s noticeable. I’m elated, hopeful, and also anxious. I haven’t told any of my friends that I’m trying to lose weight because I’m afraid that they will shun me, or think I’m fat phobic, or that I got sucked in to diet culture. I don’t want them to feel like I’m abandoning them. I’ve been so worried about it, that I’ve been practicing what I should say if and when they bring up my noticeable and rather abrupt weight loss. What is something I can say to them if they bring it up?

TLDR; I’m fat. My friends are also fat. I found a weight loss method that works for me and am dropping noticeable amounts of weight quickly after a series of unfortunate health problems. What can I say to my friends to keep them from thinking I’m somehow abandoning them or that I’ve suddenly become fat phobic?

submitted by /u/KnowledgeSmall
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/K3I0NZd

No comments:

Post a Comment